The History Of Photography ( or how I saved photography from a near death experience )

The title of this piece The History Of Photography ( or how I saved photography from a near death experience ) is a tongue in cheek declaration of how photography is almost dead. In fact I believe the opposite. Photography is alive but misunderstood. Marginalized if you will, because if this misunderstanding. When I first approached picture making with cameras,I was eager and in awe of the chemical process, its seemingly limitless possibilities for creative expression, and its sheer magic! Watching a picture appear from a latent image on a sheet of photo paper is nothing short of magical!

However, I soon realized as the years went on that photography, the act of making photographs, is a finite expression, and quite exhaustable. I soon tired of my own images and that of other photographers. Not because they were boring or uninspired, but because the same themes and modes of photographing was constantly being recycled! There were no distinctions between the images of the past and present.The differences were superficial and had more to do with the evolution of the technology of image making than the images themselves.

Comments

Popular Posts